Ambros Schmelzer, the founder of the company Schmelzer was born in Fichtelberg in 1889. Already at a young age the idea came up to start up a small handicraft business in the basement of an apartment building in his hometown. However, one year later when the first world war started this development was stopped. Only at the end of this destructive war Ambros Schmelzer was able to return to work and to continue the company business. In 1927 he moved to his first own tinsmith’s workshop and his own home located in the Bahnhofstraße of Waldershof.
Until the beginning of the 50s the company was acting solely as a plumber, which covers high roofs and installs roof drainages. During this time the onion shaped tower of the church of Waldershof has also been completed which still makes up the image of the city. At the beginning of the 50s the series production of metal pipes started. These pipes were mostly used for agricultural purposes for example blast tubes and pipeworks for field choppers. Today the production of pipes is still a core business of the company.